Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Adoptive Breastfeeding

When I dream of being a mother one of the scenes that repeats over and over in my dreams is cuddling a child at my breast. I have always wanted to breastfeed and see it as a very beautiful and natural part of motherhood. Finding out about the infertility broke this dream to pieces. It was one of the dreams that pained me the most, I thought I would never have the satisfaction of Breastfeeding my baby and that broke my heart.

Today I have been reading about Adoptive Breastfeeding and I can not tell you how much Joy I have. It is totally possible! I guess it makes sense, I just never thought about it before. I am so excited.

I think this quote sums up my feelings:
"After all those years of infertility, it was nice to feel like there was something important that I could do for a child that no one else could!"
I will breastfeed my babies, like every other mother who chooses to do so. I will get to have a piece of natural motherhood. So much has been taken away from us, I think this is amazing, and I am so excited to spread the word.

There is a lot to it though. One article I read recommended pumping as soon as you found out your were matched, at least once a day. Wow, this will be a huge commitment, but I think it is worth it. There is also a drug that can be taken, Domperidone it seems like a safe option. Some mothers reported only pumping for a few weeks before the baby was born in combination with the drug and had an ample milk supply.

Even if the milk supply is not strong and supplements are still needed, the benefits from this are unmeasurable. The bond that is created between mother and child, emotionally, physically, I want that, and I see it as important.

Well I am not going out tomorrow and buying a breastpump, but I am excited and will keep researching on how this works. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed!


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just stopping by for ICLW. My husband and I are not yet pursuing adoption, but it is definitely on the radar and breastfeeding was one of my hangups too. It's good to know its possible! Good luck and check out my blog if you get a chance!

-Kylene

B MoM said...

omg, I had no idea this was possible!!! Thank you so much for enlightening me. It's nice to know that this integral component to motherhood is still available should adoption be necessary.

Guera! said...

I am so glad you get to have this piece of motherhood! I hope all goes well for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is amazing and beautiful!! Thanks for sharing :)

(here from ICLW)

Soralis said...

Good luck! Hope that it all works out for you!

ICLW

lostintranslation said...

Wow, I didn't know that was possible. Good luck to you! *ICLW#39*

Nicole said...

We too are working adoption and while I haven't decided to nurse, it is something that is so special, it is such a joy to know it can be done.

Good luck!
~nicole
ICLW

Anonymous said...

I know exactly where you are coming from--I could have written this post myself last spring! :) In the end, adoptive breastfeeding didn't work out for me, but I'm not sorry I tried. I spent many hours at the pump and took dom and everything so if you ever need someone to chat with about it just let me know :) I hope it works for you!!!

Jessica White said...

How exciting! I read something about this a little while ago, of course I can't remember where.

I think it would be totally worth it.

Jessica White said...

PS. Thank you for always being so supportive on my blog and for all your prayers *hugs*

Kathy said...

That is so cool! I had heard about this, but didn't know much about it. My sister and her husband are just starting the adoption process and I will have to share with them about this, in case she is interested. I am impressed that you are considering this and wish you the best on your adoption journey. Hugs from ICLW.

K said...

I am glad that it is still an option, it is a beautiful experience. ICLW

..al said...

Breastfeeding builds a bond between the mother and child like nothing else. It is one of the most lovely things to do, having a baby suckle the breast, wanting to be nourished by the mother's love. Good Luck with your plan.

ICLWing!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you could do this! I am so glad you found this out and are spreading the word.

happy ICLW!

Michelle said...

Wow I did not know you could do this. It is nice to know that this is a possibility. Thank you for sharing!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

It does seem like a big commitment, but it sounds like you're up for the challenge.

Best wishes with adopting as well as nursing once your baby arrives.

ICLW... my last comment to become Iron Commenter!