Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Questions from the homestudy

I have been really surprised at the types of questions they ask on the home study. I expected it to be more theoretical about parenting, but it is way more practical. They want to know specifics! We kind of feel like we are writing out how we will parent for the next 18 years which just seems silly. Instead of asking how do you teach children healthy eating habits, or what are healthy eating habits, they ask, when is dinner time, are kids expected to eat everything, who decides portions, can kids make their own plates, what if they dont like the food and so on. I guess they are getting the same information, but Hubbs and I kind of stare at each other confused and confess that we have no idea who will decide the portions during dinner. So we talk about it for a minute and write something down.

I keep trying to remind myself that this is a tool for the social worker to get to know us, and make sure we are going to be healthy parents. I wont be repremanded if I dont pull the homestudy out in 5 years to make sure I am using the exact bedtime we said we would.

With that said, some of the questions have been kind of funny. Our favorite section has been on Potty Training. Here are the questions for your enjoyment.

Toilet Training

1. When would you being: With a boy? With a girl?
Remember we are adopting an infant, this really isnt on our minds yet

2. How would you accomplish it?
I have no idea!! we have never done this before, but I am sure I will read about it some day and have a great answer. I think we wrote something about talking about it with the child, setting a start time, and then asking them every 30 mins if they have to go everyday until they get it, and when they do we will throw a Potty Party with a toilet cake and they get underoos for presents. I would go to the potty for that.

3. When would you expect a child to be completely trained?
I hate setting expectations, they always make me feel like a failure in the end.

4. How do you handle accidents or bed-wetting? Soiling?
Hubbs' first response to all questions like this was "kick them in the head" He was kidding of course, it was funny at the time. If the case worker could somehow record our conversations as we filled this out we would be done!

5. How important are toilet habits to you?
What in the world are toilet habits?? this question made us laugh for about 10 minutes, we talked about, well I sing on the toilet, and hubbs reads, but our kids should not flush toys, or play in the toilet, I really am not sure what they are asking here, I think in the end we said something about wiping well and washing hands. They really should be a little more clear on this.

In the end I think we are doing a good job, but really I just want to write I dont know for almost every answer. It leaves you feeling a little inadequet and I am reading parenting books like a champ to try and figure this stuff out so we answer well. We are going to be the most prepared parents in the world!!

3 comments:

Jessica White said...

Oh my goodness! I always wonder what kind of questions they ask on the homestudy....some of those are hysterical...I think my DH and I would have about the same reaction as you guys lol

I'm putting together a business plan for our new business and it's ridiculous, because it's a lot of the same things...just completely made up facts and agendas.

Gwyneth Paltrow said...

Potty Training book saving!!!!!!
________________________________________
Men’s Health Magazine (Sept. issue) recommends Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day: Proven Secrets of the Potty Pro by Teri Crane. My husband picked us up a copy after reading the article. IT REALLY WORKS!!

Everyone is talking about throwing a "potty party" to potty train a child. I was so desperate; I was willing to do anything. Her book outlines 10 themed parties. What kid doesn't love to play and pretend? All my mommy friends have successfully potty trained their kids with her book too.

Honestly, when I first learned of this book, I thought NO WAY! Maybe this would work on a little girl, but NOT a BOSSY, 2-1/2 year old BOY. NO WAY! Guess what? It REALLY WORKED!!! Teri Crane SAVED MY SANITY!!! Her book was easy to read, funny and extremely helpful. I can't thank Teri enough. I would HIGHLY recommend this book to EVERY parent. It will save you much grief and frustration. Potty training shouldn't be difficult, we as parents make it difficult because we don't know what to do. Teri teaches you. Buy the book, it's the best money you will ever spend

Most amazingly, I had some questions, so I called the author, and she CALLED ME BACK!!

Guera! said...

This was really funny. I found when we did our homestudy the questions made it seem like they expected us to have everything all figured out. Show me a new mom with a newborn who has it all figured out from day one. But when you are adopting for some reason you are supposed to have it all together and have spent hours thinking about this stuff. But ultimately you are right. It's a tool for them to get to know you. Good luck!